December 6, 2010

Time Flies When Your Having Fun!

Andrew has been home for two weeks now, and he's settled in like he's always been a part of our home.  I know we will never forget the first months of his life, so I'm a little surprised that some of the memories of the NICU are fading already (no longer hearing the alarms in my sleep).  I'm also happy that he fits so well into our lives and has brought so much happiness to our family.  The holidays are truly special this year!!

You talking about me?!?
I think I like it here!
We're so lucky that we've been able to share Andrew's homecoming with some of our family.  Although the first days at home were hectic, learning a new schedule (Andrew is still in charge), adjusting to much less sleep (and in short spurts), and figuring out just how much our little man can eat (a lot), it means a lot to us that we could finally share Andrew with those we love.  My parents were here the day he came home, and a few days later John's family came for Thanksgiving.  We'll never forget our first holiday as a family and can't wait for everyone else to meet him "on the outside"!

He put the "thanks" in
Thanksgiving this year

Mom-mom and Pops
 
Granddad and Aunt Cindy
Andrew is adjusting great to life outside the NICU.  He's eating like a champ - and has gained over a pound in the 2 weeks we've been home.  We had a pediatrician appointment today and he weighed in at a whopping 9 lbs, 6.5 oz!  That's eight pounds more than he weighed at birth - CRAZY!  He's been sleeping pretty good as well, allowing us 4 - 4.5 hour stretches at night (thank you, son!).  And, we are not surprised that he is a cuddle bug.  He definitely prefers someone's warm arms over his swing, bouncy seat, boppy, etc. during the day time.  We're happy to oblige!  At night, he's been a good boy sleeping in the co-sleeper in our room for now.

Naps on Dad are the best!
 

Our days have been pretty simple - bottles, naps, diaper changes, playtime, and lots and lots of cuddles.  J took off work and my mom came back to help out.  It's too cold outside for walks, and we can't take him to public places like malls or restaurants, so I'm sure we'll get a little stir crazy in the weeks and months to come.  But, for now, we are just enjoying every minute together, feeling so thankful, and having fun! 

2 comments:

Sally said...

I am so pleasantly surprised that you updated the blog! I wasn't sure if you were going to keep doing it after Andrew came come. Love hearing of how great he is doing! I definitely remember the first day we brought Will home; it was amazing how quickly I started forgetting about the NICU.

SandSandMore said...

Hi there, you replied to one of my Bump posts, so I clicked over to your blog (http://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/47095548.aspx). I'm so happy Andrew is doing well, and I plan to read your entire blog to learn more about your journey.